An unhealthy chimney,
is nothing to mess around with. Especially if you've experienced a chimney fire in the past, you know what a priority the health of your chimney is. If you suspect your chimney flue is obstructed or has dangerous creosote build-up, you absolutely must take a few key steps to ensure your home and family are safe.
- Only burn the driest wood possible. A combination of mixed hardwood is best. We always recommend a minimum of at least 1 year aged, with absolutely no direct contact with moisture of any kind. You may even want to consider purchasing a moisture meter to test the moisture percentage of your wood.
- Get it hot. When starting up your wood stove or fireplace, ensure you get the fire going and you get it hot. This will heat up the chimney flue allowing for a much better draw, and the warmer air passing through the chimney flue will help ensure the gasses escaping from the wood don't have any chance of solidifying into the dangerous and highly flammable creosote.
- Have a trained professional inspect and clean your chimney for you at least once a year. The cost will be minimal compared to the cost of damages your home will suffer if you ever do encounter a chimney fire.
Feel free to check out the rest of the information found here and across the rest of our website. As always, we welcome you to give us a call if you have any questions or concerns!